|“||Once the most promising apprentice at Vega 5, Merlin was kicked out of the city-state for doing forbidden tests. Never one to brood over her mistakes, she made a new start in Portia, becoming the director of the Research Center. Although Minister Lee often tries to engage Merlin in debates about the ethics of using dangerous relics, she doesn't really care.||„|
Merlin was born on Winter of Day 21. She was once the most promising, intelligent apprentice at Vega 5 until performing a forbidden test resulted in her getting kicked out. She moved to Portia, where she became the director of the Research Center and took Petra under her wing. Merlin has been published in some magazines, although she would not be satisfied unless her work is featured in Vega 5's Annual Documented.
Merlin used to always eat rice, but eventually grew out of it; now, she wants to try different types of foods, such as pasta and salty foods.
Merlin wears oversized spiral goggles, with one side having multiple flip-down lenses.
Merlin's closest connection in Portia is Petra, her Friend and fellow researcher at the Research Center. Merlin Dislikes Lee, the leader of the local Church of the Light, because his religious beliefs move him to oppose everything she and the Research Center work toward.
When befriending Merlin, her relationship network with other NPCs will also be affected, resulting in the player receiving or losing favor points with those NPCs as well.
Merlin can be found at Abandoned Ruins #2 at Sunday From 8:00 to 12:00
Merlin can be usually found working in the Research Center or the Museum. She spends some time at Martha's Bakery after work, then heads home for the night. She spends every Sunday morning mining inside the Abandoned Ruins #2.
|18:30||Leaves Research Center to arrive at Martha's Bakery by 19:15.|
|19:15||Shops at Martha's Bakery.|
|20:00||Leaves Martha's Bakery to arrive at|
|7:00||Exits home to go to Abandoned Ruins #2.|
|8:30||Mining inside Abandoned Ruins #2|
|12:00||Exits ruins to go to the Research Center|
|14:00||Passes Central Plaza|
|15:00||Working inside the Research Center|
|18:00||Leaves the Research Center to go to Martha's Bakery|
|19:00||Shops at Martha's Bakery.|
|19:30||Leaves Martha's Bakery and starts walking home.|
|21:00||At home for the night.|
WARNING: Despite her relationship gauge being denoted with hearts, the player cannot romance Merlin. The sole reason her relationship levels use hearts is because News Camera is possible.
- Allows the player to move exhibits in the Portia Museum
- First meeting
- The people in church are so stubborn! Why shouldn't we use technology from the old world? They obviously can make our lives more convenient. It really doesn't make any sense...
- If you find anything of value from the old world, please donate it to us. You have no idea how much a discovery can change the world. Don't listen to what the Church has to say; we just want to progress towards a better world!
- Talk about favorite foods
- I'm not sure why but I never liked eating fried rice.
- I'm always eating rice, so I want to try other food types.
- Ask about work
- (What is it like directing the Research Center?)
- Petra is a very smart student, worthy of my time to teach her. We're discovering and analyzing new relics all the time.
- (What do you think of the Portia Research Center?)
- Vega 5 have better research equipment, but I'm more free here to pursue my research.
- Casual talk
- That's a waste of time, I'd rather spend it researching.
- (I saw your research in a magazine, that's impressive!)
- I won't be satisfied until my research is published in Vega 5's Annual Documented.
- (You seem very smart!)
- Right, now tell me something I don't know.
- Winter Solstice
- I would say this is a waste of time, but since everyone's taking the day off, it just didn't feel right if I continued working.
- Every giftable item, except for the items below, will have a Neutral (+1) effect when given to Merlin.
- Gifts given on festival days and on Merlin's birthday will earn the player 2x and 3x relationship points, respectively, and will show a unique dialogue.
- Values listed below are without The Giver skill, which gives an extra point.
|Listed values are without The Giver skill, which gives an extra point.
Gift values displayed on this chart are for the PC release of My Time at Portia and may not apply to the console releases.
The following items are desires, or wishes, which are randomly assigned to one or two NPCs per week. In the event that Merlin has a desire, gifting the wanted item will provide the higher tier points; otherwise, on non-desired events, the item gives the base point value. Some NPCs may desire an item that they do not normally like.
Merlin cannot be taken to dates or play dates except one time during News Camera mission.
If the player chooses to dine at The Round Table with Merlin during a play date or date, it is recommended to order dishes Merlin will like. If asked before ordering, Merlin will sometimes tell the player exactly which dishes to order; other times, Merlin will just give little hints. In the event that Merlin does not specify the exact foods desired, the player should order between three and six dishes, depending on what hint Merlin gives. It is recommended to order each of those dishes from different courses, ex. ordering one Appetizer, Meat, Vegetable, Dessert, and Drink course each, rather than five Desserts.
Merlin's food preferences are:
|Exceptions:||Merlin feels neutral about Stewed Rice Meat Supreme (Restaurant) because it is both Salty Food and Bowl of Rice.|
Merlin occasionally uses the Relic Pieces Exchange board at the Museum to trade for relic pieces. Merlin likes to look at particular completed relics, so after the player has donated such relics to the Museum or displayed them in their yard, Merlin may come visit the Museum or the player's yard to view these relics. Such visits will earn the player relationship points each time, with the amount dependent upon the relic.
- Main missions are listed in chronological order, based on the chronology list.
- Secondary missions are listed in alphabetical order.
- Indented missions indicate succession of the previously listed mission. Further missions in its timeline are in chronological order.
- Strange Lenses
- Picked up a couple of strange lenses, go to the Research Center and see if they know what they are.
- The Theft
- The Locator Computer brought back to the Research Center has been stolen.
- An Interview with the Research Center
- Mei would like to do an interview with the Research Center. She needs you to take pictures.
- News Camera
- Mei wants a camera for her newspaper, talk with the Research Center and see if they can help.
- Stories of Togetherness
- Petra left some hints with other people for a message to you. You'll need to talk to a them to figure out what the message is.
- This is Petra's romance mission.
- Prior to Alpha 3.0, her name was "Meilin".
- As of Alpha 4.0, when asking for the type of gifts she prefers, there is a bug that causes her to use one of Paulie's dialogue. This line of dialogue reads, "As manly as I am, don't give me any clocks, the sound of the clock ticking drives me insane!"
- Furthermore, giving Merlin Small Clocks gives a neutral reaction, unlike Paulie's negative reaction.
|Bachelors||Aadit • Albert • Antoine • Arlo • Django • Erwa • Gust • Liuwa • Mint • Oaks • Paulie • Qiwa • Remington • Sanwa • Siwa • Tody • Wuwa • Xu|
|Bachelorettes||Alice • Emily • Ginger • Lucy • Mei • Nora • Petra • Phyllis • Sam • Sonia|
|Other characters||Abu • Ack • Carol • Dana • Dawa • Dolly • Gale • Higgins • Isaac • Jack • Lee • Mars • Martha • McDonald • Merlin • Molly • Pinky • Polly • Presley • QQ • Russo • Scraps • Sophie • Toby • Yeye • Yoyo|
|Strangers||Albert Jr. • Huss • Mali • Musa • Mysterious Man • Pa • Penny • Ryder • Ten • Tuss • Ursula|