|“||Being in Vega 5 all the time is kinda suffocating. Everyone is all high and mighty about how the city is the center of science in the Free Cities. Come on! We're just digging up trash and trying to figure out what it does.||„|
Vega 5 is a man-made island city known for its advanced relic-based research and technology, located directly south of Portia. It is a member of the Alliance of Free Cities, and the only member that is not part of the mainland.
Vega 5 is built on the partially sunken wreckage of a giant spaceship, so there are no windows for large parts of the structure and plant life is sparse. There are no deciduous trees, so the local nature does not change appearance much as the seasons shift to autumn. The local fish are edible but taste "too salty," according to Qiwa.
The Stripy Neatness outfit is from Vega 5, said to "immediately upgrade one's attractiveness."
The city has at least one orphanage - the one that Mint grew up in. He states the orphanage's education and management were "extremely strict" and that most children were "assigned to the local government and research institutes." It is likely that he was able to avoid the same fate due to his natural talent at a young age in engineering. Orphans are generally not treated well by the Vega 5 society. Mint describes the food served to the children in that orphanage as "tasteless," resulting in things such as Portia Hot Pot being "a little too greasy and spicy" for him.
Science and technology
|“||You know, I never liked anything about Vega 5. But now I remember one of their rules was to always respect a living AI like a sentient being. I've never given that too much thought before, but they're right. Living AIs weres(sic) the most beautiful things our ancestors created in an age of corruption.||„|
There are many relic technology researchers, though their findings are "often top secret" and not released to the public. Vega 5 is known to have done research on various vehicles, including a failed attempt at an underwater vehicle.
The city is home to various living AI. They are intelligent, friendly, and treated with the same respect as other living beings.
Establishments of note
Vega 5 University
Vega 5 University, colloquially referred to as Vega 5 U, is a prestigious college. It features subjects such as technology, teaching, and liberal arts like art, music, and history, though its liberal arts program was nearly cut by the new dean.
Connections to Portia
Not much is known about Vega 5 besides the following:
- Merlin and Mint were originally from there.
- Lucy completed her studies there before coming to teach in Portia.
- Wuwa's boat ferries people to and from Vega 5.
- Certain technology are from Vega 5:
- The Relic Finders that the player can use in the Abandoned Ruins were developed by researchers in Vega 5.
- The Driller's diagram was also developed in Vega 5.
- The Factory is made from a prefabricated design imported from Vega 5.
- Vega 5 supplies many parts used to manufacture advanced instruments and machinery.
- Most of the planes in the Free Cities are built in Vega 5, since it is the only city equipped with the knowledge and tools to do so.
Up From the Ashes: Humanities Subjects in Vega 5 Uncancelled
|Reported by Mei|
Shocking news from Vega 5 has reached Portia today, as Dean Bitterman, President and Chairman of Vega 5 University, has resigned from his position after a crowd of hundreds appeared at the university this week, carrying a petition bearing the signatures of hundreds more. The petition was an outcry against Bitterman's plans to cut funding in the liberal arts colleges and subsequently spark massive layoffs in those departments including history, music, education, and others.
The petition was started by none other than Portia's very own Ms. Lucy, school teacher and graduate from Vega 5 University. "When I heard what they were doing, I felt powerless; but then a conversation with a close friend inspired me to try to make a difference," she said of the ordeal.
Vega 5 University is the largest and most prominent university in the south. Losing that beacon of culture would have been devastation for the younger generation and have echoing effects for generations to come. What's more, Dean Bitterman had no plans to redistribute the funding amongst other programs, instead it was revealed that he planned to use the money to give himself and other board members a raise in salary. When reached for comment, billionaire investor Musa had this to say, "Don't forget Musa is all about that paper, but fellow paper chasers, know this: you should make your money by helping people and bringing telesis to the community; anyone who plucks their money out of someone else's future is lower than dirt, as far as I'm concerned."
Dean Bitterman was not available for comment, but shortly before leaving the university and returning to his mansion, corroborated sources confirm his last words to the crowd were, "And I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids and your stupid petition!"
- Mint: "Vega 5's built on what used to be a giant spaceship, so there were no windows for large parts of the structure. I was stuck in a room without windows, it was suffocating. I glad I left, I never want to go back."
- Mint (chat dialogue during autumn): "I've never seen such a range of colors during autumn until I got here...Vega 5 hardly has any plants."
- Qiwa: [ verify ] "I have tried all kinds of different fish from around the Free Cities, Vega 5's too salty, Atara's got a strange smell, and Walnut Groove's are too small. Overall, Portia's got the best fish."
- Mint (Stranger level dialogue): "The mood here is totally different from Vega 5. Everyone seems so relaxed here."
- "Although I grew up in Vega 5, I didn't like it. Life there is too serious. Everything needs to be done to order, it made me feel very tired. You know?"
- Mint (Soulmate level dialogue): "I grew up in an orphanage at Vega 5. Their education and management were extremely strict. The children from there were assigned to the local government and research institutes."
- A New Kid!, entry from Ginger's Diary: "Papa brought a new kid to town today from Vega 5. He's a little over ten but he's already helping with some of the engineering work, such a genius!"
- Mint: "When I was young, Gale came by Vega 5 for an official visit. I was his guide. He treated me, an orphan, so well! It was so different from the other Vega 5 technicians!"
- Mint (at the Winter Solstice): "Perhaps because I grew up in an orphanage, the food there was always so tasteless. As such, I don't like to eat hot pot, it's a little too greasy and spicy for me. Still, I really like the festival atmosphere, makes me feel all warm and happy inside."
- Mint (Friend level dialogue): "Do you like sports? I used to be really into basketball. When I would shoot, I would hit nothing but net! Heh."
- Player (complimenting Mint during a playdate or date): "You're from Vega 5, aren't you? You must know a lot about the old relics!"
Mint: "No[t] really. The researchers at Vega 5 are certainly very knowledgeable, but their work are often top secret. I'm just an engineer, they don't show interesting relics to me unless it's related to my job."
- ???: [ verify ] "I went to Vega 5 once, it's a place of wonder alright. They somehow managed to get a lot of rare relics in working condition. Of course, they don't show them off very often as they're so precious."
- ???: [ verify ] "Nice! We'll have something for you soon, hopefully! This reminds of my days in Vega 5, actually. They researched a bunch of vehicles!"
- Merlin: [ verify ] "We get some of the latest research journals whenever Wuwa travels to Vega 5. It seems like they're attempting to make a ship that can travel under the water right now...and failing at it."
- ???: [ verify ] "I have seen living AIs in Vega 5 before. Friendly fellas if you ask me. I hope this AI that crashed in the space station will be the same."
- Lucy: "This is what makes it all worthwhile: all the late nights at Vega 5 U, all the studying. Now I can give back to the community and give these kids the education they deserve."
- Merlin (during "I just got a letter from my old professor at Vega 5 University; some new dean is gutting the entire College of Liberal Arts; that includes art, music, history… Who knows what kind of effect those sorts of cuts are going to have going into the future?"